I've finally made my very own pot wreath.
With a twist of course.
Inspired by questions about the picture I took of the one at Bachman's Ideas House a year ago, answering numerous emails and describing my best guess about how it was made....
It was time to make my own.
- I used a square wire frame - instead of a round one. I had it from my old boxwood wreath. I discarded the dried boxwood and kept the wire frame.
- I collected pots a garage sales. They were chippy and worn - which I wanted.
- 16 gauge wire. (this can vary and be your own choice)
- Wire cutters.
I mocked up the placement of the pots.
Then I got an idea. Why be normal?
So I painted the pots black. Then painted a few with a white stripes.
Taping them took too long. I quickly gave up and just did stripes by hand.
I let the pots dry a day before making the wreath.
I didn't want the paint scratching off easily.
- I 'strung' wire inside each pot, through the drain hole, cut it with wire cutters and 'tied' it to the frame simply by bending the wire around the frame. This is why I wore gloves - for bending the wire.
- I went like this, attaching each pot, eyeing and arranging as I went.
- The wreath is heavy.
I hung it up to see how it would look.
- Then, I planted succulents.
- I bought one at a plant sale, one at Home Depot and took one from my own garden.
- A combo of Hen and Chicks & Sedum.
After I had it planted, something wasn't quite right.
I had the mug o' succulents that I'd planned to take to work for my desk.
I'd bought the mug for .50 cents at a garage sale and put succulents in it a few weeks ago.
But, I still had it at home. Lightning struck and I decided to switch a pot for the mug.
It was just the ticket.
I think it turned out quite lovely.
The one at Bachman's had moss tucked into it, perhaps to cover wire or spaces.
I didn't want to deal with the moss, so skipped it.